Lovelace Rehabilitation Hospital offers a variety of treatment programs for speech-language pathology disorders, including cognitive issues that result from brain injury or stroke. In addition, we offer a voice & dysphagia (swallowing) Lab to help assess and correct issues with swallowing.
The outpatient speech-language pathology department offers a wide range of services related to the evaluation and treatment of speech, language, and cognitive issues in adult and pediatric populations (over 2 years of age). We utilize a multidisciplinary approach and consult with physicians continuously during treatment.
Specialists and programs:
- Speech-language evaluation and treatment
- Early childhood interventionist
- Clinicians trained in brain injury rehabilitation
- Facilitating the use of augmentative communication devices
Voice & Dysphagia (Swallowing) Lab
Lovelace Rehabilitation Hospital’s Voice & Dysphagia Lab is a unique outpatient speech-language pathology program that evaluates and treats swallow and/or voice impairments related to variety of diagnoses or impairments.
In partnership with referring otolaryngologists, the Lovelace Voice Lab is equipped to evaluate and treat a wide variety of disorders.
- Voice evaluation with use of instrumentation, including VisiPitchTM software and equipment
- Voice recording and analysis
- Flexible and/or rigid laryngoscopy for vocal fold imaging and visual biofeedback
- Video laryngostroboscopy*
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment LOUD therapy
The Lovelace Voice & Dysphagia Lab provides evaluation and treatment of swallowing issues related to a variety of diagnoses. Among the most commonly seen are neurological impairments, traumatic brain injury, progressive diseases and head and neck cancer.
- “Bedside Swallow Assessment”
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallow (FEES)*
- Video swallow capabilities
- Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation technique, in conjunction with specific exercises to strengthen the impaired muscle function
- Visual biofeedback with the use of nasoendoscopy*
- Education and training for patients and caregivers regarding diet precautions and compensatory strategies
*Procedure must be specified by physicians on referral.