Molasses Wheat Cookies
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
1 1/8 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup mild-flavor molasses
1 large egg (use a higher omega-3 brand, if available)
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, margarine, sour cream, molasses and egg by beating on medium speed until blended.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in medium bowl with whisk. Beat into margarine mixture just until dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop (1/8 cup, leveled) drop dough 2 inches apart onto a nonstick cookie sheet coated with canola cooking spray. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack.
- To make frosting: In small mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, margarine, and vanilla extract, beating on low speed. Increase speed to medium and beat the frosting until it begins to have a whipped consistency (about 1 minute).
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the frosting in the center of each molasses wheat cookie. Sprinkle colored sugar over the frosting, if desired.
Yield: about 3 dozen cookies