Lovelace Westside Hospital is one of the safest hospitals in the U.S., according to new hospital safety ratings by Consumer Reports magazine.
Dennis Domrzalski , Reporter- Albuquerque Business First
Lovelace Westside Hospital  is one of the safest hospitals in the U.S., according to new hospital safety ratings by Consumer Reports magazine.
The hospital received a safety score of 73 out of a possible 100 and ranked 14th on Consumer Reports’ list of the nation’s safest hospitals.
Lovelace Regional Hospital in Roswell received a score of 71, and Lovelace Medical Center  in Albuquerque got 61 points, according the rankings that will appear in Consumer Reports’ May issue.
“Patient safety is a top priority at Lovelace Westside Hospital,” said hospital CEO Farron Sneed . “We have daily safety huddles that involve all the departments, and our staff members are an integral part of this process.”
Presbyterian Hospital in Albuquerque had a score of 55, and the University of New Mexico Hospital , also in Albuquerque, scored a 52, the magazine said. CHRISTUS St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe received a score of 63.
The safety rankings are based on five categories and information from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services . The categories include mortality rates for heart-attack and pneumonia patients within 30 days of admission, hospital readmissions, infection rates, and the percentage of chest or abdominal CT scans that are ordered twice for the same patient.
Consumer Reports said it has safety information on more than 4,000 U.S. hospitals. The magazine rated 20 New Mexico hospitals; it did not have safety scores for 21 of the state’s hospitals.
Here are Consumer Reports’ safety scores for New Mexico hospitals:
- Lovelace Westside Hospital, Albuquerque: 73
- Lovelace Regional Hospital, Roswell: 71
- CHRISTUS St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, Santa Fe: 63
- Espanola Hospital, Espanola: 62
- Lovelace Medical Center, Albuquerque: 61
- Carlsbad Medical Center, Carlsbad: 56
- Presbyterian Hospital, Albuquerque: 55
- Alta Vista Regional Hospital, Las Vegas: 54
- Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services, Gallup: 54
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque: 52
- Lovelace Women’s Hospital, Albuquerque: 52
- Plains Regional Medical Center, Clovis: 50
- Lea Regional Medical Center, Hobbs: 48
- San Juan Regional Medical Center, Farmington: 48
- Holy Cross Hospital, Taos: 46
- MountainView Regional Medical Center, Las Cruces: 43
- Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center, Alamogordo: 41
- Gila Regional Medical Center, Silver City: 39
- Eastern New Mexico Medical Center, Roswell: 39
- Memorial Medical Center, Las Cruces: 35